OpenVP has landed

Well, if you’ve been waiting for some kind of stable release of OpenVP for Banshee, you will love this. OpenVP is part of the Banshee Community Extensions 1.7.4 release! Go get it, and be sure to file any bugs you come across.

Yet another monolithic update

I need to get into the habit of blogging more often. I haven’t even been twittering much lately… You’ve probably noticed the visual update to my blog by now. I got tired of the default WordPress theme. I had to tweak this one a bit to get it to behave the way I want, but…

Git and Banshee.OpenVP fun

Well it’s hacking season again. With GNOME’s switch from Subversion to Git complete, which means Banshee now uses Git too, it gave me an excuse to finally learn it. This was not fun. But having toughed it out, I can definitely say that I love it. Now that Banshee is using Git, Aaron is starting…

More visualizations

I spent some of Tuesday porting some of my older OpenVP visualizations from XML-serialized scripted effect presets to “real” preset classes, and committed them to Banshee.OpenVP. The results:

Finished visualization pipeline

Hopefully, anyway. I spent some time this last week (probably over 15 hours total) giving the Banshee visualization pipeline another overhaul. In the process of doing this I finally filed a bug I found in the spectrum GStreamer element that I’ve been trying to work around for a long time. Even though Sebastian was able…

Christmas break plans

It’s that time of the year again… when I get to relax after completing finals. It looks like I’m going to pass everything too, which is a pretty big deal since I literally cannot fail any class I’m enrolled in and still graduate in May. So now that I have some time to myself, here’s…

More optimization

Not creative enough to think of a better title right now… I just spent almost two hours hacking away at the Banshee visualization pipeline again and made one very important optimization: when the callback function is null (which happens when nobody in managed land is listening for visualization data) the visualization pipeline is effectively disabled….

Optimizing the visualization pipeline

So apparently the visualization stuff in Banshee has been disabled since it’s a CPU hog. I don’t know why I didn’t notice it during testing (and I did check) but there seems to be a five-fold increase in CPU utilization with the visualization pipeline running. For me, this is an increase from 1-3% to 10-12%…

Almost there

After a few hours of hacking using a wigdet that Michael and a few others pointed me at, I now have a working Banshee.OpenVP extension! Much work still remains to be done, but what I have is a pretty stable foundation. Both the OpenVP 0.0.1 branch and Banshee.OpenVP are available over at the Google Code…

Ok, I guess not

Banshee.OpenVP is on hold indefinitely until a stable GTK+ widget providing an OpenGL context is available. All of the wrappers I have tried have serious issues that prevent this project from even making minimal headway.