New new display

I got the replacement for my defective laptop display on Saturday and got around to installing it last night. So far everything looks good. There are no defective pixels as far as I can tell and, as a bonus, it’s a matte display instead of the glossy one that came with my laptop. Woot!

Touch-sensitive mice!

I stumbled across this bit of Apple awesomeness today. If you look at the huge splash image, you’ll note this text to the right of the mouse: Touch-sensitive technology detects right and left click. Oh? I’m sorry, I was under the impression that you manipulated mice with telepathy, not with touch! What a revolutionary invention!…

Host configuration

Switching to a new web host is always fun. I spent most of Monday and Tuesday trying to get the Subversion client and Apache module installed and working. Today I tinkered with Sendmail enough to get it doing what I want. Installing Subversion was much more tricky than it seemed at first. My host has…

Christmas break plans

It’s that time of the year again… when I get to relax after completing finals. It looks like I’m going to pass everything too, which is a pretty big deal since I literally cannot fail any class I’m enrolled in and still graduate in May. So now that I have some time to myself, here’s…

New display

I got my new display installed and all is almost well, but there’s two pixels smack in the center with the red component stuck on. I’ve tried such things as JScreenFix and massaging/tapping to no avail. So I guess it’s going back to the seller for an exchange. (You can’t really see it at this…

Development on hold

Well, this morning while I was packing up my laptop it kind of slipped, and… well… Yeah, so don’t expect Banshee.OpenVP to be ready for a while.

Virtual Machine development

Since getting my new laptop I’ve been doing most of my development on it, particularly outside of my room. My desktop has become associated with gaming too much for me to be productive while using it, at least on a regular basis. In fact it’s been booted into Windows for a few weeks now, except…

More optimization

Not creative enough to think of a better title right now… I just spent almost two hours hacking away at the Banshee visualization pipeline again and made one very important optimization: when the callback function is null (which happens when nobody in managed land is listening for visualization data) the visualization pipeline is effectively disabled….

Optimizing the visualization pipeline

So apparently the visualization stuff in Banshee has been disabled since it’s a CPU hog. I don’t know why I didn’t notice it during testing (and I did check) but there seems to be a five-fold increase in CPU utilization with the visualization pipeline running. For me, this is an increase from 1-3% to 10-12%…

Almost there

After a few hours of hacking using a wigdet that Michael and a few others pointed me at, I now have a working Banshee.OpenVP extension! Much work still remains to be done, but what I have is a pretty stable foundation. Both the OpenVP 0.0.1 branch and Banshee.OpenVP are available over at the Google Code…